The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends the first dental exam for children by age one. Toddlers and preschoolers present with unique personalities ranging from shy to outgoing and curious. We do realize these amazing young patients have a limited attention span. The first exam is designed to be quick, thorough and provide anticipatory guidance for parents. We will create a dental home for your children providing:
- A risk assessment for dental disease.
- An individualized preventative dental decay program.
- Anticipatory guidance about growrh and development issues (teething, digit or pacifier habits).
- A plan for emergency dental trauma.
- Information about proper nutrition practices.
- Information about proper care of your child's teeth and gingival tissue.
- Comprehensive dental care in accordance with accepted guidelines and periodicity schedules for pediatric dental health.
- Referrals to other dental specialists when care cannot be provided in the dental home.
Parents are often curious about what to tell their children prior to their first dental visit. We recommend offering a brief explanation of the first visit. Please relate we will be counting their teeth and shining them for a beautiful smile. We may take pictures (radiographs) of their teeth also. Let them know they are coming to a dentist that just sees children and it's a special place for them. Describe that they will see lots of salt water fish (we have 4 salt water fish tanks) and many of their favorite Disney characters.
Please arrive a few minutes prior to your child's appointment. There will be registration and consent forms, including personal, medical and dental histories, insurance forms and HIPPA forms to complete. We are committed to providing your children with the highest standards of dental care. We welcome your children and family to our practice and will strive to make your children's dental experience positive and pleasant.